Tuesday 10 March 2009

Quote a day-Libraries

Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library. The only entrance requirement is interest. - Lady Bird Johnson

And this one just made me laugh when I read it!


And if the book were printed on rye bread it would be very much thicker. Further, your bread book would solve two problems. The reader would never lose his place since he would eat each page as he finished it;also the lost profit of the borrowed book would be eliminated. And people d like to read while they eat. A few years ago, a public librarian in Birmingham, England, earnestly requested the subscribers not to use bacon or kippers as bookmarks because the grease soaked through the pages and the odour might repel future readers. -John Steinbeck

1 comment:

Kim said...

Made me laugh too! I never think of Steinbeck being so clever-my image of him is plain old stodgy. :)
Kim