Thursday 5 March 2009

Booking through Thursday-Best book never read


We’ve all seen the lists, we’ve all thought, “I should really read that someday,” but for all of us, there are still books on “The List” that we haven’t actually gotten around to reading. Even though we know they’re fabulous. Even though we know that we’ll like them. Or that we’ll learn from them. Or just that they’re supposed to be worthy. We just … haven’t gotten around to them yet.
Oh, there's just too many. Those lists are really demoralising, they just remind me how many books I haven't read! I don't like the term 'should' though, it makes me feel obliged to something, which automatically makes me not want to do it! But there are two that jump out at me that I can't believe I haven't read.
  • The Grapes of Wrath-John Steinbeck
  • To Kill a Mocking Bird-Harper Lee

I've got these on my bookcase, I just haven't got round to reading them. Maybe I should join the classics challenge then I can include them on my list and I might actually read them!

13 comments:

Dot said...

Hi Jo, To Kill a Mocking Bird is a really great book, I would very much recommend it! Happy BTT!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about those lists! They make me feel like I'm reading the 'wrong' books! And there are no wrong books. I'll have my list up a bit later.

Literature Crazy said...

A lot of people are listing classics that they haven't read. I'm wondering if the people who make these "lists" should make different (less guilt-inducing) lists. Like, "Top 100 Sci-Fi Novels of all Time," or "Top 15 Women's Empowerment Books."

Should I feel bad that I haven't read Steinbeck? Probably. Do I? Probably not as bad as I should fee.

Beth F said...

OMG! These two are great books. HOpe you like them as much as I did.

KyleeJ said...

I really loved To Kill A Mockingbird when we read it in high school.

http://tinyurl.com/btt030509

Nise' said...

Both of these books are great! I hope you get to them!

Anonymous said...

I read Grapes of Wrath in high school, but remember little of it except I liked it. I've recently reread TKaM with my oldest, and would definitely reco it of the two :-)

kayerj said...

I mostly read for entertainment and I don't have a list of books to read

Savidge Reads said...

To Kill A Mockingbird I only read last year and it is officially one of my favourite books ever. I read Grapes of Wrath for a book group, I might have loved it I might not, would be interested to hear your review of it!

Anonymous said...

I loved the movie "The Grapes Of Wrath", but have never read the book.

Anonymous said...

Today's answer leans toward classic.

I've got so many but when I reflect upon the type of writing style that appeals me the most, I narrow it down to a short list.

At first I couldn't make of the question because it really depends on what best is. I'm reading a very popular book that I'm probably the last person on earth to read it. Gone with the Wind. :)

Robin M said...

I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird yet, either. But I do have the Grapes of Wrath on the shelves. Will get around to that one some day. Thanks for visiting me on my blog for BTT.

Chrisbookarama said...

To Kill a Mockingbird is a great book. I tried to read Grapes but I couldn't get into it. It's very bleak.