Wednesday 7 January 2009

Edward Trencom's Nose; A Novel of History, Dark Intrigue and Cheese by Giles Milton



I read this at my parents house over Christmas. Like a fool I forgot to take any of my reading with me so i found this on their bookcase and I was intrigued. The basic premise of the story is that Edward Trencom runs a cheese shop and has a nose that has almost a supernatural ability to detect scent, which he uses to great effect to distinguish not only between cheeses, but also the specific area and producer and even the month of production. This strangely shaped nose is hereditary and has been in Edwards family for generations and when he discovers some family paperwork in the cellar of his shop he realises that all his ancestors have met their ends in mysterious ways and begins a quest to discover why.

I can't say I didn't enjoy this book, it was funny and extremely silly, which is what I expected. And the descriptions of the tastes and aromas of the cheeses are truly mouthwatering. Don't read if you are on a diet! It was an entertaining read but it just became slightly too contrived towards the end. The way Edward finally decides to go to Greece to discover the truth is just way to convoluted and most importantly the ending falls completely flat and is disappointing. It just didn't seem to make sense. It almost reads as if the author got bored and just stopped. But it is still worth a read if you've got a spare afternoon because until the climax, its quite good.

No comments: