Thursday 22 January 2009

Booking Through Thursday


Since “Inspiration” is (or should) the theme this week … what is your reading inspired by?

Oooh, lots of things! Bookshops, the library, recomendations from friends, subjects I'm interested in. And of course all the book reviews I read on everyone elses blogs.

I've got a huge list of books I'd like to read, and a huge pile of books waiting to be read but I don't seem to be able to read to a plan. I'll read one book, which will then open doors to many other subjects that I would like to read about. Then my son might read something that looks interesting, I might find something in the library that just looks appealing. Recently I answered a Musing Monday question about how I felt towards assigned reading at school and that has sent me back to my box of school and university books. I am now inspired to re-read some of the books and authors from here, and to try again with Faulkner, which I really struggled with at uni.

I suppose my reading is influenced by my mood as much as by anything else though. I sometimes find that although I'm inspired to read lots of things, if I'm in a rotten mood, nothing seems to hold my attention for very long. This is when I usually turn to old favourites or magazines in an attempt to try and improve my mood. Luckily this doesn't happen very often!

6 comments:

Lynda said...

I too find libraries, bookshops and other people's blogs inspiring. My bookshelves are groaning with books to be read, adn I still visit the library weekly.
Great answer. Mine's here:
http://lyndasbookblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/booking-through-thursday-22109.html

SmilingSally said...

I never reread; I am driven to read all the new-to-me titles. Happy BTT.

Beth F said...

I am so fickle -- I want to read almost everything I see!

Dot said...

Hi Jo, thanks for visiting my blog and putting me on your blog list, much appreciated! Happy BTT!

Confuzzled Shannon said...

I when I am in a rotten mood I have to put the books away. Or my reading experience is soured by my mood and then it hurt the review as well.

Jo said...

Lynda, yep so are mine! And I couldn't live without my library. So mant books!

Smilingsal, I like re-reading things. I usually find more with a second read.

Beth, and me. Thats why my tbr list is so long. I think it would take me 5 years to read if I didn't add any more at all! Hmmmm

Dot, its cool. I loved your blog!

Shannon, I agree. Thats why I usually read old favourites because I won't be reviewing those!