Monday 23 February 2009

Monday Musing-The Library



Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about the library…

How often do you visit the library? Do you have a scheduled library day/time, or do you go whenever? Do you go alone, or take people with you?
I'm not organised enough to have a specific time in my week to visit the library. My local library is very small, although the County library network is brilliant and has most of the books I want to read. Consequently most of my books come in as requests from the county network. I tend to just collect these as they come in. In fact, I'm very likely to collect a book as soon as I receive the text message telling me that a book has arrived. So as well as not being organised,I'm not very patient either! Lol. My son is just the same. When I tell him one of his requests has come in, he's got his shoes on and the door open before I've even got his library card out for him!
To be fair though, I don't have to go out of my way to get to my library at all. In fact I have to walk past it twice every day on my way to fetch my daughter to and from school. If I had to travel at all, then I suppose I would have to be more organised!
I do make slightly longer visits to the library when I take my daughter to change her books. Again though, this doesn't have a scheduled time of the week, it just happens when she needs to change her books. We usually go on the way home from school, since we have to walk past anyway. This is the time I do have a chance to browse the shelves in the library, because once we've chosen her books she likes to start reading them in the library. This is when I'm likely to come out with more books than I can possibly read!

8 comments:

Yvonne said...

I put DVDs and audio books on hold at the library and as soon as I get an email telling me that they are in, I rush out to get them. I'm not very patient either. LOL

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I don't go to the library anymore. Here's my link.


Monday Musing

Mary (Bookfan) said...

My post is up. I go to the library more now than a few years ago.

Anonymous said...

It's great that the library is so close to you and great for your kids too. I'm far too impatient to wait for books on hold, although it's a very simple system now and free, so I usually end up buying them.

Anonymous said...

Wow, text messaging that a book is in, interesting.

Erika Powell said...

i am impressed that your library does texts. but isn't it great when they are so close!

caite said...

text messages? I wonder if my library does that? and if not, why not.

Cath said...

Nice to hear you have a son who's an avid reader. You always hear that it's realy hard to get boys to read. My grandson is two and already very keen on his books... hopefully we can find a way to keep him like that.