Thursday, 30 April 2009

Booking Through Thursday

Which is worse?

Finding a book you love and then hating everything else you try by that author, or
Reading a completely disappointing book by an author that you love?


This is really hard to answer! I don't think I can actually think of anything that would fit into either category. I'm actually not often disappointed by a book, and its very difficult to say I hated one! Perhaps I'm just not a very discerning reader!

The only example I could think of would be Ian McEwan. The first I ever read was Enduring Love, and I loved it, and nothing else that I've read by him has ever matched up. But I've by no means read everything he's written and I didn't hate any of them. I just didn't love them like I loved Enduring Love.

In terms of hating a book by an author I love, its never happened! I think all authors have a weakest work, or just one that doesn't appeal personally. Taking the question on this level, I would have to say Margeret Atwood's Surfacing disappointed me a bit. Everything else I've read I've loved, I just wasn't as enamoured with this as with the others. But again, I've not read everything she's written yet, although I'm coming close.

I think that is a bit of a cop out answer really, but it would take a lot for me to say I hated a book, especially if I had an affection for the author.

12 comments:

Novroz said...

it's an easy question for me :) I think the second option is the worse

Blodeuedd said...

That's right, I loved a McÉwan book but for some reason I couldn't read Atonement which everyone seems to love

BooksPlease said...

I agree - I can't actually think of a book I hated!

CoversGirl said...

There's another way of looking at the fact you're rarely disappointed - you might be very good at choosing books to read! I don't often dislike books, either, and that's the explanation I like best.

Jess said...

I tried to read Atonement and decided to let it go after 50 pages, maybe I should try Enduring Love instead. So many people love his books.

Melissa - Shhh I'm Reading said...

McEwan didn't do it for me either, but I've only read On Chesil Beach. Atonement is somewhere in my shelves...I am more forgiving with a favorite author.

Dot said...

Hi Jo, really like the new look for the blog! It was a bit of a tough one this week. I've not ready any Ian McEwan, I know it's a bad reason but I've always been put off by the front covers!

zetor said...

My answer covers the second question. http://zetor-mogsblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/booking-through-thursday_30.html

~*Kaila*~ said...

I have to say that the second option is the worse one for me.

My full answer is here.

JoAnn said...

I really need to read Enduring Love!

Matt said...

What matters to me is whether I'll venture into another book of a new author. It's about building the credit. I do believe in second chances. :)

I'm extra cautious about reading another if the author is not good in my book. At least I wouldn't buy it but borrow it.

Savidge Reads said...

I agree with you totally and think you can be disapointed with a favourite authors work, but hate it... surely they wouldnt be a favourite author?