Thursday 2 April 2009

Booking Through Thursday-Libraries

I saw that National Library week is coming up in April, and that led to some questions. How often do you use your public library and how do you use it? Has the coffeehouse/bookstore replaced the library? Did you go to the library as a child? Do you have any particular memories of the library? Do you like sleek, modern, active libraries or the older, darker, quiet, cozy libraries?

Libraries are fantastic! I love mine and couldn't live without it, but I don't actually spend a lot of time in it. I spend more time on their website checking the catalogue and requesting books. I live in a small rural town so consequently the library I use is small. But it is part of an excellent county network which has most books I would like to read somewhere in the county. So my library visits are short, usually just to collect books that have come in on request. And since I have to pass it every day taking my daughter to and from school, I don't even have a particular time to visit. I'm usually in their to collect my books the moment they text me to tell me they have arrived!

I do spend more time in there when I take my daughter though. She loves the library. She always chooses her books really quickly then sits down to read them and is quite upset when she has to come away. This is the time that I will just browse the shelves and look for anything that might just catch my eye.

As for childhood experiences of libraries, my mum is a librarian so I spent a lot of time in the library. Visits to the library were a regular thing and I spent some of my school holidays in the library when mum had to work. I loved that though, and I even got to help out behind the desk when it was quiet.

11 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I would have loved to help in the library as a kid :D

Dot said...

Hi Jo, thanks for commenting on my blog! Lucky you, having a mum who was a librarian, I would have loved that! It's lovely that your children like visiting the library too! Have a lovely day!

Anonymous said...

I wish when I have kids someday, they will like to go to the library and enjoy reading books as much as I do. It's so cool that your daughter loves the library (touch wood) :)

Kathy W said...

Thats neat your daughter enjoys the library so much. You don't see a whole lot of young people at the library checking out books. Mostly they are just using the computers here.

Yvonne said...

I'd love to work at a library. That would the perfect job for me.

Beth F said...

I forgot to mention that my mom was librarian too! She worked in a small library and mostly on weekend mornings. Maybe my love of libraries started there.

Jess said...

I love our system here as well. So easy to request books and then pick them up every week.

http://barneysbookblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/booking-through-thursday-42.html

Matt said...

I was such a magnet to libraries when I was young. I still remembered that sensation of getting my library card---that felt so privileged and special!

I love going there to read my own books these days!

Savidge Reads said...

I wanted to be a librarian for quite a while when I was younger and indeed worked in one temporarily when I was younger working with three Pams!

Nise' said...

How cool to be able to help your mom out in the library! I always thought it would be cool to get locked in at night!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Libraries are simply wonderful. I'd be lost without mine. I always wanted to be a librarian when I was younger. I reserve my books online and pick them up. My boys love the library though and have their favorite shelves and sections!