Thursday 18 December 2008

Booking Through Thursday

Do you give books as gifts?
To everyone? Or only to select people?
How do you feel about receiving books as gifts?


Easy one this! Perhaps that's why I chose this one as the first Booking Through Thursday post. I only really buy books as gifts for my children, as they've inherited a love of books from me! Apart from them, anyone else I buy gifts for doesn't read and as I like to buy gifts that would be appreciated I won't buy books, much as I might want to! The exception to this would be my mum, and although I could buy her numerous books,she wouldn't appreciate them because she works in a library and doesn't see any need to own books!

It is a similar scenario for receiving books. Anyone who would buy gifts for me has no knowledge of books so would never even consider buying books as presents! However the exception to this again is my mum, who will buy me books and has a very good insight into what I would like. I do like receiving books from her though,as she always manages to find something I would never consider and I usually love it!


What is the best book you ever bought for yourself?
And, why? What made it the best? What made it so special?


The best book I ever bought for myself is a new copy of Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'urbervilles which I bought about 6 months ago. I first read it when I was 15 and loved it. Since then have studied it both for A-level and for my degree, none of which detracted from how much I loved the book. However as you can imagine my original copy was a bit dog eared and full of notes, highlighted passages and the like. This does enhance my understanding of this novel, and I do still add notes and similar to this copy, but it was a pleasure to read it without being reminded of significant passages and just appreciate the beauty of the writing, and remind myself of what made me fall in love with it in the first place!

5 comments:

SmilingSally said...

It must be wonderful to have a mother who works in a library and buys you books.

Beth F said...

I sometimes buy hobby-related books for my non-reading family and friends.

Robin M said...

I try not to buy books for folks I know wouldn't read them. I'd rather tailor book gifts to readers tastes. I love receiving books as presents and hopefully the giver will tailor it to my tastes.

Robin of mytwoblessings

Anonymous said...

I've never read Tess.

Jo said...

Hi all. It is fantastic to have a mum as a librarian. I get some good book reccomendations and sometimes free books! Ssshh on that though. Lol.

I have actually bought my dad a road atlas this year but only because its what he wants and I don't think that really counts as a book!

I would reccomend any Hardy novel to anyone. I think the only reason Tess is my favourite is because it was the first one i read. The writing is beautiful,although the story is fairly depressing. Don't read it if you need cheering up!

I think that just about answers everyone's comments.